Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It's official. I'm a nerd.

There. I've said the taboo words. There go my mum's chances of ever finding me a groom, at least no male who reads this blog (assuming that there is such a person) would be suicidal enough to be yoked to me. Er, but those perusing my blog form a microscopic minority anyway, so Ma don't move to the Himalayas yet.

I have always had this sneaking feeling about my nerd-dom. It was always the wart I tried to camouflage with make-up. It was a side of mine always hushed up or spoken about in muffled undertones. It was always the chink in my armour. But now I'm outed and don't know where to hide. Political correctness be damned, I don't like being a nerd. Period.

I should probably begin at the beginning. I took these two quizzes that my friend had sent to me- "Which character from Friends are you?" and "Which Harry Potter character are you?". And I took these quizzes on two different days, so there was an outside chance of getting a cooler personality evaluation (don't ask me why, I thought these are like fortune cookies or Orkut fortunes- totally arbitrary and your evaluation is randomly generated). But no. Never try to second guess online quizzes. Here's my evaluation (drum-roll, please)

1. You are Ross Geller. You are the most intellectual of your friends and you know it! You're a realist who knows rational thought and doesn't get carried away with the moment. While people may view you as slightly uptight, most people find it to be a sign of responsibility and maturity and when the time is right, you definitely know how to have a good time!
(Yeah, right. The "good time" bit was only to handle my achy breaky heart with kid gloves. I'm a nerd you know, don't insult my intelligence)

2. You are Hermione. You're a bookworm always in search of answers. When pressed, however, you can always be counted on to put away the books and help your friends.
(see how they use the euphemism "bookworm" instead of "nerd". Damned kid-gloves again.)

And did you notice the imperious declaration? "You are...". Why not say, "You seem to be.."? At least then there is a tacit admission of the possibility of erroneous or faulty assessment. But no. We have to rule on people with booming, authoritative voices (in this case bold font) gavel and all.

Well, what the hell? I'll be a nerd. The geek shall inherit the earth. To Nerd Pride. Hurrah.

P.S. Shouldn't I get brownie points for willfully inviting public humiliation? Can I then be Chandler and Dumbledore?