Thursday, May 22, 2008

Animal crackers

Conifer and I have the habit of taking a stroll after lunch (which in my case is just an excuse to walk to the little shops that line the roads leading to my workplace and buy chocolate for my daily chocolate fix). The shop which is nearest to our office is next to this little spot where pigeons (gazillions of them) come to feed. So everytime we walk by, we have to be careful not be smattered by pigeon poop (Conifer's score is 2 and mine 1-so she's still leading me by 1 point for getting smattered more frequently than I). When we do get smattered, some idiot says "buy a lottery ticket" because apparently it's lucky to be pooped on, and it makes me wonder if that superstition was invented just to cheer up the victim. It makes me wonder if most superstitions have some mundane explanation- e.g. maybe too many accidents occurred when people walked under ladders, may be mirrors were hard to come by (those who didn't want to deal with 7 years of bad luck would have to be careful with their mirrors) and so on.

Conifer is a huge animal lover. She wants to join PETA, but can't because she loves her chicken and fish. She contends that meat/fish is dead anyway, so why shed tears. She sees no conflict between her carnivorous food habits and her otherwise tender feelings for animals. I agree. A girl's gotta eat. Anyway, she is fond of animals and birds ( my charity rarely extends beyond my immediate circle of humans, so I find her love for animals quite unusual) and feeds the stray dogs of her area, celebrates her pet canary's birthday and the list of her cookiness is never-ending. Whenever we walk on the streets of Mumbai in sweltering heat, dodging traffic, perverts, bulls and other stray animals, Conifer stops to marvel at the "cute way the stray cat sleeps", or the "sweetness of the dog" who patiently waits for the biscuit as she unwraps it for the dog and then sniffs her in gratitude or whatever.

I took this picture when Conifer and I were on one of our strolls to the pigeon-poop store. She bought a packet of biscuits and split it between the dog and the cat, who broke bread (or biscuits in this case) side-by-side, in peace.




Whatever happened to fighting like cat and dog, I wonder? Funny thing peaceful co-existence, wouldn't hurt to try it out for size, I think.