Thursday, May 22, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

I was woken up last night by the wistful cry of the friendly neighbourhood koel. There seemed something deeply eerie and haunting about that cry which rent the still night. Like it wailed for lost times, memories in which it both rejoiced and mourned. Like some deeply entrenched emotion in the darkest recesses of it's being had been released and all it could do was coo in response.
It was an epiphany of sorts for me. Nostalgia struck. I thought about seemingly unconnected things- things which were important once or had touched me or affected me deeply, but had been since forgotten. So, should old times be forgotten...

For Donna di. I remember how you were the only one (except Bubun da) who came to watch me debut in my 10th standard school play. You made it a point to come for my play since my parents were out of town.You said Christmas Carol came alive for you with my "Ghost of the Christmas past" (hideous wig and make up and all). I remember how I stayed at your place for a while when Ma and Baba were out and we listened to country music on 107.1 till 12 a.m, how we experimented in the kitchen with random masalas. I remember how you kissed me on my cheek (right on the street, I might add) the day my 10th standard results came out , happy with my performance.

For Bubun da. Thank you for scaring the bully in my class who used to torture me and call me names, when you were 8 and I was 5 (then I became the class monitor and got back at him.) We barely speak anymore, but I will remain forever grateful to you for teaching me how to burst Diwali "crackers" (atom bombs, hydrogen bombs, lavangi etc) and for introducing me to your delicious "banana cream" and Table-tennis. You were the one who accompanied me on my first day of engineering college and even paid the travel fare!

For Tinks. Am not going to use your real name out of respect for your privacy and because I'm too ashamed to admit my flaws. You were one of my best friends and I don't remember ever having as much fun as I did with you. Yet, I went ahead and betrayed you quite wantonly, for perverse reasons of my own which I'm neither too proud to admit not too strong to forget. You are my greatest regret. Not a day goes by that I don't think about the pain and hurt I must have caused you. I never remained in touch because I was too ashamed to do so. But the golden girl that you are, you forgave me for my transgressions and even called me before you left. You wanted to meet the one person whom you considered a friend and who gave you betrayal in return. How did you come to be so generous?

Unspoken words. I wish I had the courage to say these when it mattered.